Welcome to EoN...






Welcome to EoN, which stands for Eye On Nation.

EoN is a webMagazine which serves as a platform for the staff and pupils of Zhenghua Secondary School to post articles and/or comments about school activities and/or issues pertaining to National Education, Social Studies, History and even Geography! We hope to raise the level of awareness and encourage active citizenship among our staff and pupils through this initiative.

Join us on this journey. It may be long and tedious, but good company expedites the process and lessens the load. =)

Looking forward to your comments and active participation!

Mrs Sharon Tan

Friday, February 29, 2008

The World and Us ... And a game.

Life isn't
as simple as we think.
Our world is large.
We can't cover
all vast expanse
of the land
on feet

Yet it is small
enough
for us to feel
for us to pity
for us to be guilty

Ever so oft
we exclaim
misery
we proclaim
ourselves
victimised

It is the I
It is we
Versus them
Who are they anyway?
Do you see them?
How much is my fault?
My every action
What I do
What I don't
Is it my fault
or yours?

I cannot pity
If pity is condescending
I don't know
where to begin
How
to help
But at least
a good start
I know
that the world is large
I am
Not Alone.

---------------------------------- Mrs Tan, 29/2/2008, 4.30pm

A challenging role-playing game that allows you to play a character who decides the fate of a family living in a poor country: www.costlife.org

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Basically, through the game, I got to really feel the hardship and suffering day by day to make ends meet. Also, the purpose of this game is to evoke compassion in us for the characters in the game. Thus, it had truly made me strongly feel that way. :)

- said...

In this game, we realised the reality!!! That we should appreaciate what we have now as many people live in poverty.

Anonymous said...

I feel that the game is actually making us,those who actually had proper education & parents that supports our education to realize the difference between the fortunate & unfortunate. The game actually make me sympathise for the Haiti people working very harshly with poor conditions to support their family financial and education.Unlike us,their season changes and they need to suffer with major diseases without any proper help from the hospital

Fatinah Ok said...

And by playing the game,it seemed like we are putting ourselves on the Haiti People shoes. Its like a real experience except its virtual :P

Previous comments by me not Azyan:D

Lau Feng Yuan said...

I felt that the game is really addictive.I really pity people in those less developed countries.After playing the game I realize that money, education, health, and happiness are all interrelated.Without money people could not afford jobs, education and without all this people colud not be happy.

Anonymous said...

In this game, we could experience the life that the LDCs are facing. Money is important for their daily neccessities. Therefore they have to work hard to earn money. However, if they spend most of their time working, they can easily get sick.Thus, health is also important.

litalight said...

Good observations, guys. I totally concur with all of you.

I also observe that this is after all a game for us and that we could always start a new game if we made the wrong choice or if things didn't turn out the way we'd like them to be. However, the same cannot be said or done by the people whose real lives are entrenched in poverty and unable to break free from the poverty cycle.

This game also opens my eyes to the dilemmas faced by the lower-income groups as the decisions they make about healthcare, work and education could be a matter of life and death. In such dire circumstances, does gender equality or freedom matter?

Harmonious Living

Harmonious Living

Touching Lives in Vietnam, 5 June 2008

Global Food Crisis (4m 2secs)

How does it affect Singapore? How should we respond to such global challenges?

World Food Crisis (7m 52secs)

How does it affect Singapore? How should we respond to such global challenges?